Desk of Contents[Hide][Show]
Having some Louisiana roots, Cajun Gumbalaya (additionally spelled gumbolaya) is a household favourite round right here. It combines the flavors of gumbo and jambalaya for an intensely flavorful recipe. As they are saying: “Laissez les bons temps rouler” (Let the nice occasions roll!).
What Is Gumbalaya?
I’ve additionally all the time been considerably of a rule-breaker, so whereas gumbo and jambalaya are each glorious dishes in their very own proper, I wished to discover a method to mix them in a single pan. Voila, Gumbalaya!
Definitely, there’s a place for the normal recipes, however that is my go-to quick model for busy nights. It has all the flavour however is far faster and simpler to make and doesn’t have a flour-based roux.
Quick & Straightforward Cajun Gumbayala
Each time potential, I attempt to burn up no matter I’ve within the fridge or freezer. It helps me keep away from meals waste and it saves me cash. I are likely to put this recipe close to the top of the week in my meal plan because it’s so versatile.
Some straightforward substitutions you can also make that may nonetheless have that Cajun taste you crave:
- Bell peppers – Use inexperienced peppers or no matter shade you may have readily available. The yellow and oranges are sweeter however gained’t change the flavour.
- Cauliflower rice – Rice your cauliflower to maintain it keto or low-carb gumbalaya, or you need to use white rice. I’ve even used quinoa or brown if I’ve some leftover I would like to make use of up however they do change the flavour slightly.
- Kielbasa – You should utilize andouille sausage or smoked sausage relying on what you may have readily available.
- Purple beans – For further protein, individually stress prepare dinner some crimson beans and add them for the final Quarter-hour to reheat. I are likely to batch prepare dinner beans and freeze them in order that they’re straightforward to throw into this recipe.
- Celery – Because it’s one of many veggies that lasts a very long time within the fridge, I wish to slice and use it up on this recipe.
- Rooster inventory – Regardless that the diced tomatoes add some liquid, you may add a cup or two of broth or inventory so as to add a collagen enhance with out making it too soupy.
- Spices – I’m infamous for including in further garlic cloves… however you actually can’t go flawed with this recipe. Typically I throw in a pinch of cayenne pepper, a few bay leaves or a touch of crimson pepper flakes. In case you have creole seasoning, put a ½ teaspoon of it in. The probabilities are scrumptious.
- Crushed tomatoes – It gained’t drastically change the feel in case you swap diced tomatoes for crushed tomatoes.
Right here’s my un-traditional tackle this conventional New Orleans recipe.
Cajun Gumbolaya Recipe
A mix of gumbo and jambalaya, this recipe combines many Cajun flavors for a flavorful and filling dish!
In a big skillet, prepare dinner the diced rooster and sliced sausage in coconut or olive oil till browned.
Take away from pan and put aside.
Whereas the meat is cooking, cube the bell peppers and onion and mince the garlic.
Sauté the diced bell peppers and onions within the skillet till mushy, including the minced garlic within the final minute or two.
Season with the spices listed or as desired.
Whereas the bell peppers, onions, and garlic are cooking, put the cauliflower into the meals processor and pulse till it’s in small items like rice. You too can chop with a knife or hand or field grater, although this takes longer.
When the onion combine is finished softening, add the can of diced tomatoes and the okra.
Add the rooster, sausage, shrimp, and cauliflower and simmer one other 10-Quarter-hour till the cauliflower is mushy and shrimp is cooked. Alternatively, you may prepare dinner the cauliflower individually in some butter in one other skillet and serve the gumbo over it.
Serve scorching and revel in!
Be at liberty to regulate seasonings and spice ranges to your tastes.
Serving: 2cupsEnergy: 190kcalCarbohydrates: 13gProtein: 26.4gFats: 3.9gSaturated Fats: 1.1gLdl cholesterol: 152mgSodium: 875mgFiber: 4.3gSugar: 5.5g
What’s your favourite Cajun dish? Have you ever tried Cajun Gumbalaya but?